Newcomers walking into a salt cave for the first time can have an unexpected shock. One could assume the soft peachy glow exuding from the meditation space would feel warm and cozy. Deceptive to touch, the salt cave remains a cooler temperature to provoke awareness in the body and mind as guests relax in the designated chairs. Since its introduction to the U.S. in 2014, halotherapy is defined as the treatment of breathing salt air. People of all ages can reap the benefits of breathing the salt air and no known side effects have been documented. Due to its diverse properties, the popularity of halotherapy spiked in 2018 and the salt industry was born. Today, salt cave seekers can visit a salt spa almost anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Some of the most enchanting spas in the U.S. are located in Santa Barbara, Las Vegas, and New York City.
Benefits of Halotherapy
Research and scientific studies are ongoing for the benefits of halotherapy but many people claim that it aides in increasing respiratory function, detoxifying the body, boosting the immune system, and enhancing the skin’s appearance. In addition, a handful of studies loosely show that dry halotherapy may discourage mental disorders like depression and anxiety as well as improve sleep patterns.
Glow at Home
As the salt therapy grew, so did the desire to take the salt cave home with the guests. Salt lamps can be found almost anywhere but purchasing one from a salt spa gives the glowing lamp a more authentic feel. These crystal lamps are said to disperse negative ions and detoxify the air by drawing impure water particles to the salt rock. These claims are still being studied today as to exactly how they benefit the users. Many spiritual and yoga spaces include salt lamps to give the space a cleaner and less toxic vibration. Researchers still have yet to prove if the negative ions truly benefit its user and clean the air around it but for immediate results I suggest looking into charcoal filters.
Other Uses for Himalayan Salt
The pink salt is also known for other benefits other than creating a zen space. The edible small crystalized Himalayan salt contains over ten times the minerals that table salt has. Also, other salts have been exposed to pollutants like micro-sized plastic from the oceans or landfills unlike Himalayan salt which was formed prior to the creation of human-created pollutions. The pink salt naturally derives from some of the oldest salt mines which makes this a perfect organic alternative to processed table salt. Himalayan salt can also be used in baths to soak sore or fatigued muscles. Studies show salt baths can increase positive feelings and eliminate stress and pain when soaking for ten minutes or longer. Testimonials claim salt baths can clear skin, reduce rashes, and calm irritants such as bug bites. In spiritual practices, the bath can help clear chakras, disband negative energy, and and clarify insight.
Halotherapy’s popularity may have plateaued during the Coronavirus due to restrictions but decorating with the peachy crystal glow at home is still in high demand. Would you try or have you experienced halotherapy in a place near you? Tell me in the comments below how you use Himalayan salt in your spiritual practice.
- Elevate Your Next San Diego Trip to Inspire InfluenceSan Diego is great however you experience it but I found places that will take your trip to the next influencer level. This feature includes the cutest edible trend, real-life Disney princess romance, and scenic getaways to step up your Instagram selfies.
- A Morning with the Prince at Paisley ParkIt was an honor walking through the building that represented Prince himself. He was 100% himself and this vlog showcases our tour through his magnificent palace.
- You Me Matcha: San Diego’s Most Instagrammable CafeHoly Matcha is San Diego’s most Instagrammable Matcha Cafe with bomb matcha.
- My Underwater Tunnel Adventure Inspired by a Japanese DramaI took inspiration from one of my favorite Japanese dramas and turned it into fascinating date. The date location and pictures were gorgeous for any Instagrammer looking for a unique photo opportunity.
- Start Me Up & Travello Internship ExperienceTwo videos, one interview, and years later I am finally sharing my review of my internship with Start Me Up and Travello on my blog! Watch the videos, read my tips n’ tricks, and scroll through the pictures to see how I got into the internship program and what my experience was like.